Paul Sutherland founded the Utopia Foundation in 2007 with the team support of innovative and dedicated fellow board members. We are committed to providing opportunity for people to express their good intentions in local and international communities. We invest in Champions that have the desire to create or are part of resilient projects that create sustainable improvements in the livelihoods of those in need.
How we got here
Following thoughtful discussions in 2007, the Board agreed the world did not need yet another new non-profit organization, there are already virtually thousands in existence! Instead, we dedicate ourselves to support existing program-oriented organizations creating initiatives that place a high priority on inclusiveness and collaboration, while prioritizing resilience and sustainability into their respective program outcomes.
Our approach is pragmatic, creative, and entrepreneurial, as we seek opportunities to implement our mission. Taking action toward this goal, we target our effort and resources toward organizations that recognize the responsibility of attending to the needs of the current generation, while enhancing the opportunities for future generations, and remain mindful of the economic, human, short and long-term, social and environmental impact of our initiatives. We support the process of evaluation in each step of the program cycle ensuring the intended impact is achieved.
We make certain that our programs have an exit strategy, do not cause harm by creating dependence, a victim mentality, or a bureaucratic mess; they are mindfully designed to be resilient and sustainable. Our emphasis while focusing on the “work at hand” is to be collaborating with good, honest, committed, compassionate, hard working, happy people who exhibit virtue and ethical behavior in their implementation process.
- Assist donors in identifying and supporting sustainable projects that have a positive impact economically, socially, and environmentally
- Assist others in defining their own path toward sustainability
- Collaborate and partner with existing organizations that share a passion for our mission
- Create programs that are congruent with our mission
- Help social entrepreneurs nurture their ideas for the benefit of all
- Use the collective skills of our board and volunteers to enhance and add value to the partner organizations, collaborators and social champions we work with